DHCP Leases Parser

Ryan Gray ryantgray at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 14:36:45 UTC 2016

Greetings everyone,

This is one part poll, one part request. I am working on a project that
necessitates analyzing the dhcpd.leases "database".  For many years I have
struggled with getting usable information out of the leases database in a
sane fashion.  While there have been some very helpful utilities, (command
line scripts, dhcpstatus.cgi, dhcpd-pools anyone?), none of them have been
exactly what I was looking for and all of them are quite antiquated in
regards to what they are built with.  I've had it with cobbling together
nearly unacceptable solutions and am going to build an application to solve
this, at the very least for myself. I've got a good start with some super
helpful PHP classes that I've been working on.

Poll:
If there were a service that allowed you to upload, or otherwise sync, your
leases file and would give you status, statistics, and historical
information, would you be interested in using it? I am not talking about
anything that is actively part of the DHCP traffic, purely a leases
analyzer.  Is there interest in a web based utility like this?

Request:
If there is interest in a service like this, it will be imperative that I
gather as many example dhcpd.leases files as possible during development. I
can only generate so much data locally and I want to account for as many
variables as possible. My request is that if you are interested in
something like this and are able to send me any dhcpd.leases files, that
would be extremely helpful. I realize that leases information might be
considered too sensitive to just send to some dude on the internet, so if
anyone is interested and finds this a hurdle, I would be happy to come up
with a way for us to mitigate that risk.  ....perhaps a script that you can
run locally to obscure sensitive data.

Just putting out the feelers here. This is getting built regardless, but if
there is community interest in the topic, I would be excited to work with
you and to give back to a community that has done so much for so many for
so long.

Regards,
Ryan Gray