classes for hostnames

Niall O'Reilly niall.oreilly at ucd.ie
Wed Oct 28 20:57:55 UTC 2015

On Tue, 27 Oct 2015 12:57:52 +0000,
Glenn Satchell wrote:

> On Tue, October 27, 2015 9:01 pm, Andreas Burger wrote:
> > hi there,
> >
> > we define hosts with dedicated ip-adresses based on the mac.
> >
> > and we have pools where known-clients are allowed.
> > to have them online, when tehy are in an other of our nets.
> >
> > what i would like to do, is define classes that are allowed/denyed for
> > some pools. but not baesd on mac, but on a regex of the hostname (or a
> > tag or so)
> > has someone done such things or has a hint, how to make that?
> >
> > regards
> > andreas
>
> See the dhcp-eval man page:

  But read it carefully, as it also contains this:

       option option-name

         The  option  operator returns the contents of the specified option in
         the packet to which the server is responding.

  IIUC, this means that only option data which the client or relay has
  placed in the incoming packet can be used by the server to perform
  class matching, and that options specified in the configuration
  aren't available for this purpose.  Unless the client can be
  depended on to set the host-name option, I expect that class
  matching depending on this option will either not be triggered, or
  at best triggered sporadically.

  Best regards,
  Niall O'Reilly