ISC-DHCPD in a OmniOS zone

Michael Mounteney gate03 at landcroft.com
Mon Oct 12 08:18:48 UTC 2015

From: Michael Mounteney <gate03 at landcroft.co.uk>
To: dhcp-users at lists.isc.org
Subject: ISC-DHCPD in a OmniOS zone
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 09:59:15 +1000

Hello, as per subject line, I'm trying to set up DHCPD within a zone,
which is somewhat like a BSD jail -- a shared-kernel isolated chrooted
execution environment.

The environment has three interfaces which it inherits from the 'real'
running OS environment:

root at diener:/root# ifconfig -a
lo0:2: flags=2001000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4,VIRTUAL> mtu 8232 index 1
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
e1000g1:2: flags=1100943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,MULTICAST,ROUTER,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 2
        inet 192.168.1.2 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
lo0:2: flags=2002000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv6,VIRTUAL> mtu 8252 index 1
        inet6 ::1/128

When I attempt to start isc-dhcpd:

root at diener:/root# /usr/sbin/dhcpd -cf /etc/dhcpd.conf -lf /var/db/dhcpd.leases -f -d -p 67 -s 255.255.255.255 e1000g1:2 e1000g1
binding to user-specified port 67
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Server 4.3.1
Copyright 2004-2014 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/
Config file: /etc/dhcpd.conf
Database file: /var/db/dhcpd.leases
PID file: /var/run/dhcpd.pid
irs_resconf_load failed: 59.
Unable to set resolver from resolv.conf; startup continuing but DDNS support may be affected
Wrote 0 deleted host decls to leases file.
Wrote 0 new dynamic host decls to leases file.
Wrote 0 leases to leases file.
Error getting interface flags for 'lo0:2'; No such device or address
Error getting interface information.

If you think you have received this message due to a bug rather
than a configuration issue please read the section on submitting
bugs on either our web page at www.isc.org or in the README file
before submitting a bug.  These pages explain the proper
process and the information we find helpful for debugging..

exiting.

Obviously that third interface, the lo0:2 ipv6, is the problem but I
don't want the serve dhcpd on that interface anyway.  As my dhcpd
command line indicates, I'm specifying the interface on which I want
dhcpd to listen, but it doesn't make any difference --- dhcpd still
attempts to look at the lo0 interface, fails, and bombs.

It doesn't matter what interfaces are given on the command line
(including none);  the error is always the same.

Any ideas?  Really it seems to be necessary to stop isc-dhcpd from
looking at that lo0 interface at all.