Missing old leases when dhcpd restart more then 2 times

P N Kumar kumar.pn at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 20:17:25 UTC 2015

Hi All,

I have DHCPD server running on my box and leases are allocated.

When DHCPD server restarts first and second, all the leases info in
 dhcpd.leases file are correct.
But when it restarts 3rd time, the (old) leases allocated before first
restart were missing, and this behavior continue
for next dhcpd restarts .

Are there any restrictions on number of time dhcpd server restarts?

This how I restart the server:
 /etc/init.d/dhcp-server stop
 /etc/init.d/dhcp-server start

or

 /etc/init.d/dhcp-server restart

I can ping the missing lease IP address to client.

Currently our system has
DHCP 4.2.8
BIND 9.8.4-P1

We are doing Host Entry objetcs in DHCP database.
For a particular missing IP lease in the dhcps.leases file, I get the
following object info with missing MAC.

*Host to lease is CPE0004000000000000*
*> > > > > obj: <null>*
*> obj: host*
*> obj: host*
*name = "CPE0004000000000000"*
*> obj: host*
*name = "CPE0004000000000000"*
*ip-address = 04:04:04:01*
*dhcp-client-identifier = 00:04:00:00:00:00:00:00*
*> obj: <null>*

Question:
*Why after server restarting 3rd time removes MAC in the host entry object?*

see the example of correct lease host entry object with MAC

*Host to lease is CPE0007000000000000*
*> > > > > obj: <null>*
*> obj: host*
*> obj: host*
*name = "CPE0007000000000000"*
*> obj: host*
*name = "CPE0007000000000000"*
*ip-address = 04:04:04:02*
*dhcp-client-identifier = 00:07:00:00:00:00:00:00*
*hardware-address = 00:05:7a:73:2e:a3*
*hardware-type = 00:00:00:01*
*> obj: <null>*

--