setting preferred and valid lifetimes, T1 and T2, using dhclient.conf

Mudric, Dusan (Dusan) dmudric at avaya.com
Thu Jun 18 20:34:43 UTC 2015

Hi David,

As suggested, I tested with:

       # Example: IAID=4f4fb85a, T1=5555, T2=6666
        send dhcp6.ia-na 4F:4F:B8:5A: 00:00:15:B3:00:00:1A:0A;

There is a bug in ISC 4.0 DHCPv6 client. It sent two IA_NA options in SOLICIT:

   Identity Association for Non-temporary Address
   Option: Identity Association for Non-temporary Address (3)
   Length: 12
   Value: 4f4fb85a000015b300001a0a
   IAID: 4f4fb85a
   T1: 5555
   T2: 6666

   Identity Association for Non-temporary Address
   Option: Identity Association for Non-temporary Address (3)
   Length: 12
   Value: 4f4fb85a00000e1000001518
   IAID: 4f4fb85a
   T1: 3600
   T2: 5400

and even three IA_NA options in REQUEST. Do you know if this problem was fixed in DHCPv6 4.3.2?

Second question: Is there a way for the client to control Preferred and Valid lifetimes using dhclient.conf attributes? If yes, how?

Thanks,
Dusan.