DHCP Relay agent not forwarding messages to the client

Gero Palacio gero.palacio at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 22:17:13 UTC 2015

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the reply, I did not know if it was a bug or the correct
behavior.

If I may, let me ask you a follow up question. Does DHCP relay works well
with a pair of DHCP servers in failover mode?

I've configured the relay agent described in my previous email to forward
the messages to the pair of DHCP servers. Now everytime the relay agent
forwards a discovery message from the host, I receive 2 dhcp offers, one
from each server. As I've configured split to 128, only 1 server should
reply with an offer.

If I test the same configuration with hosts in the same subnet as the DHCP
servers, the behavior is as expected. The DHCP servers *responds or ignores*
the discovery messages according to the result of the hash based on the MAC
address of the hosts.

Any idea what might be the problem? Is it even a good idea to run a relay
agent and a pair of DHCP servers in failover?

Thanks!
Gerónimo.