dns_update_log shows dynamic entries deleted

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.email
Tue Jun 9 19:35:14 UTC 2015

On 6/9/15 12:29 PM, Cuttler, Brian (HEALTH) wrote:
> Dave,
>
> I had wondered that myself, but I haven't found any evidence to support the theory (and I would much rather have a theory than an unknown).

Dave is wrong. :)

> The bind server seemed to check point its leases hourly (seems to slip back just a little each hour), and while I do see a bind restart in the logs, it was one I triggered at 09:40, there is nothing to indicate server (host or named) at the time of the event (08:18). Nor any indication that DHCPD restarted prior to my manually restarting it later on.

If the problem was caused by the DHCP server you would see the removals
in the logs. The BIND server did not spontaneously remove anything.

> Nor have a found a switch to remove (auto-purge) 'old' dynamic entries, in the named.conf, though I could have overlooked it, certainly I did nothing to enable such a switch.

There isn't one. :)

Doug

--
I am conducting an experiment in the efficacy of PGP/MIME signatures.
This message should be signed. If it is not, or the signature does not