DHCP Failover cluster uses MCLT value as lease time

Glenn Satchell glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au
Mon Feb 16 10:58:53 UTC 2015

It's exactly as designed. The server hands out that initial lease without
contacting the partner for performance reasons. This is from the
dhcpd.conf man page:

The mclt statement

       mclt seconds;

       The mclt statement defines the Maximum Client  Lead  Time.
       It must be specified on the primary, and may not be speci-
       fied on the secondary.  This is the  length  of  time  for
       which  a  lease  may  be  renewed  by either failover peer
       without contacting the other.

The draft-ietf-dhc-failover document goes into great detail describing how
failover works, how lease times are managed, and why this is done. It's
not included with the current ISC distribution, but can be easily
downloaded separately from sites such as
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dhc-failover-12

The dhcpd man page also has information on failover.

regards,
-glenn
--
Glenn Satchell                                       |  Today is the past
Uniq Advances Pty Ltd        http://www.uniq.com.au  |  that people in