host declaration: Either hardware or dhcp-client-identifier will always match, but never both?

Harald A. Irmer Harald.Irmer at kit.edu
Wed Dec 9 19:15:33 UTC 2015

Hi,

I'd like to have a host declaration thus:

host nb2-smith {
hardware 00:11:22:33:44:55;
option hostname "nb2-smith";
option dhcp-client-identifier "smith\nb2 at vlan111";
}

Why this?:

Two concurrent independent uses:

1. User Smith connects with his notebook and gets the static lease
dependent on its hardware address, "00:11:22:33:44:55"; the notebook
will NOT send the client identifier "smith2\nb2 at vlan111"; we will assume
that the notebook sends a client identifier which is DIFFERENT TO
"smith2\nb2 at vlan111".

2. User Smith's notebook is not connected to its vlan but is going to
set up a vpn connection from outside; the multiple VLAN vpn server with
delegated address management (yes there's one!) then send's a
DHCP-Request with the client identifier "smith2\nb2 at vlan111"; for sure
the vpn server's hardware address is DIFFERENT TO 00:11:22:33:44:55.

Will this work, that either hardware or dhcp-client-identifier will
always match, but never both the same time?

Yours,

Harald

--

Karlsruher Institut für Technologie (KIT)
Fakultät für Informatik

Harald A. Irmer
Mitarbeiter Datennetz

Am Fasanengarten 5
Gebäude 50.34, Raum 008
76131 Karlsruhe

Telefon: +49 721 608 – 46963
Fax: +49 721 608 – 46699
E-Mail: Harald.Irmer at kit.edu
Web: www.atis.informatik.kit.edu/413_420.php
       www.kit.edu

KIT – Universität des Landes Baden-Württemberg und nationales
Forschungszentrum in der Helmholtz-Gemeinschaft

Das KIT ist seit 2010 als familiengerechte Hochschule zertifiziert.