How to find hostname

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Sep 18 07:06:16 UTC 2014

Bill Shirley <Bill at Henagar.PolymerIndustries.biz> wrote:

> I'm having trouble figuring out where this device gets its name.  My log statement:
> Sep 17 18:41:22 apinetstore dhcpd: DHCPDISCOVER from 00:20:4a:f3:c5:a7 (CF3C5A7) via lan10
> Where does the host name CF3C5A7 come from?

I think you'll find that it's been provided by the client - I'd suggest firing up your favourite packet sniffer and look at the contents of the packet. In this case, as pointed out it's the last half of the MAC address with a leading "C" added - it's fairly common for devices (especially the "appliance" types like print servers and so on) to base their hostname on the MAC address.