Retaining information between DHCP requests

Sten Carlsen stenc at s-carlsen.dk
Thu Oct 9 23:29:27 UTC 2014

On 10/10/14 01.23, CLOSE Dave wrote:
> Bill Shirley wrote:
>
>> Does kickstart send the hostname every time?
> Actually, it doesn't seem to send hostname ever. The only potentially
> useful field unique to kickstart in any of the messages is the
> vendor-class-identifer. And that appears only in the first DISCOVER/REQUEST.
>
> However, following up on Sten's suggestion, I find that the initrd does
> contain a dhclient.conf file. All it contains now is,
>
>  > request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers,
>  >         domain-name, domain-name-servers, domain-search, host-name,
>  >         root-path, interface-mtu;
>
> Perhaps I can add something to this file.
How about a host name? You could make it easy to match with a class, like:

well-done-host-00123
well-done-host-00124
well-done-host-00125

Then match on substring of host name excluding the serial.

Possibly using some HW part e.g. MAC or part of MAC for the number part.
I think there might be a hook for something like this. Others will know
better.

--
Best regards

Sten Carlsen