Can't Get Dynamic Address from one pool when device is configured as Fixed Address on other, separate pool.

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Nov 19 07:44:44 UTC 2014

> The aspect I was not aware of was that if a client is defined as a Fixed Address in a completely separate pool, the server still considers it as a known host.

Have you put your host statements inside the subnet or pool statements ? It would help if you'd not trimmed that vital piece of information from the snippets you've posted.

Just delete the "allow unknown-clients" statements and it'll stat behaving as you intend. However, if you have your host statements inside a subnet your next query will be something like "why is the server giving out the wrong gateway address ?"

Regardless of where you physically put the host declaration, it is always global in scope. So when a client connects to the 137.... network, it will still match the host statement "inside" the 130.... subnet declaration (but the 130.... fixed address won't be applied as it doesn't match teh subnet the client is connected to). At this point, seemingly odd things happen, because you'll find that the host statement will cause options from the 130.... subnet/pool declaration to be inherited and the host gets a 137.... address, but with a 130.... gateway !