Upgrading from ISC DHCP 3.0.5 to 4.1 or 4.2 appears to break dhcp-overload function

Patrick Trapp ptrapp at nex-tech.com
Tue Mar 11 18:06:27 UTC 2014

"I'm not 100% sure if we determined that the overload only breaks when received via Occam blades or only when it receives a request using option-82. (As I mentioned, there is some variation on our network and in the cases where we tested where there was no Occam blade in place, there was no option-82, either -- and the set-tops rebooted fine."

I checked with the network guy that helped the most during our testing of this issue and he said that we did verify that when we disabled option-82 (and relaying by extension), there was no issue with the overloading. So it does appear that the option-82 information in the packet might be confusing the DHCP server as it constructs the DHCPOFFER.

Patrick