dhcpd sporadically ignoring one of two "copies" of a DHCP request

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Mar 11 17:20:25 UTC 2014

On 11/03/14 17:11, Shawn Routhier wrote:

> secs is used for load balancing

I know what secs is for, thanks.

> If you have two serves in a failover pair, normally one of them is configured to answer
> the first (secs == 0) message for some group of clients.  The other will start answering
> for that group of clients when secs reaches the configured limit.

That's not the issue here.

The issue is that a server is receiving two copies of the DISCOVER a few
milliseconds apart with different giaddr, but only responding to one.

The "min-secs" setting could, in theory, cause it to ignore *both*. But:

  a. We have no min-secs on the affected server, and
  b. secs==0 in the affected packets