Gentle shutdown feature

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Jun 27 09:12:39 UTC 2014

"Kalnozols, Andris" <andris at hpl.hp.com> wrote:

> One could argue that if the change benefits the
> majority, it may be more suitable to have an option for
> the minority to opt out.

Indeed. If every project failed to change any default action such that no upgrade ever changed anything, then we'd never make any progress.

If you do change previous behaviour/defaults, then it does need to be specifically flagged up in the release notes - not just buried in the list of changes. IIRC I've seen on upgrades on Debian systems it sometimes pops up a list of changes which I assume is an amalgamation of "important" notes from all the packages that have provided them.