Gentle shutdown feature

Kalnozols, Andris andris at hpl.hp.com
Thu Jun 26 20:56:40 UTC 2014

On 6/26/2014 11:25 AM, Alex Bligh wrote:

> On 26 Jun 2014, at 19:13, Shawn Routhier <sar at isc.org> wrote:
>
>> 3) Any other useful comments about this issue?
>
> I'm not using it knowingly (in my environment every
> lease is static so it wouldn't make a difference) but
> I would suggest that the new behaviour, whilst useful,
> would change behaviour, and thus should be 'opted in'
> to via a command line switch.

On the flip side, the orderly shutdown sounds like a good
idea especially on the client side if it means that sending
a release keep things more tidy like minimizing stale DDNS
records.  One could argue that if the change benefits the
majority, it may be more suitable to have an option for
the minority to opt out.  We're not using failover so these
changes have been transparent to us.

Andris