DHCP gives out same IP address to two clients

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Thu Jan 9 21:48:38 UTC 2014

We originally developed that patch for some labs that dual-boot windows/linux. Windows would not release the lease on shutdown, and when linux came up either without a uuid or a different one, the box would get a different IP address. We didn't really want to double allocate, so we added a feature to ignore the uiid, so each OS on the same box would use the same IP address.

For the OP case, IIRC, he has two boxes that for some reason have the same uuid, and hence are getting the same IP address. In this scenario, the feature to ignore the uuid will allocate leases based on the mac, which is presumably different, resulting in each box getting a different IP address.

So I think it would work for him…