APIs to change the interface???

Simon Hobson simon at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Jan 6 13:07:10 UTC 2014

Naveen <naveensampath at tataelxsi.co.in> wrote:

> I can able to run the server now. But the server by-default listens to eth0 only. Can i change it listening to "lo" interface? Coz i am working on developing an application to provide IP addresses to virtual hosts running on the same machine. Is there any APIs available in the code to do so or i need to change some piece of code?

Please trim excess quoted material !

The server can only listen on "ethernet like" interfaces - it cannot listen on loopback interfaces as they do not support the required operations.
What you need to do is to provide the service to a virtual or real ethernet interface. All the virtualisation options I'm familiar with provide a virtual network switch (bridge) to which the host and guests are connected via virtual interfaces. AFAIK, the DHCP server works fine in this situation as the network, while virtual, is still "ethernet" from the point of view of the attached systems.