How to restrict Windows XP DHCP clients to a specific subnet?

Chris Buxton clists at buxtonfamily.us
Thu Feb 13 17:30:44 UTC 2014

If you mix allow and deny statements in the same scope, the following rules apply:

1. If the client matches any deny statement, it is denied. Otherwise, move to step 2.
2. If the client matches any allow statement, it is allowed. Otherwise, move to step 3.
3. Denied.

If only one type of statement (allow or deny) is given, the default for unmatched clients is the opposite of whichever statement type is used.

If no allow or deny statement is in effect, the client is allowed.

Obviously, mixing allow and deny is tricky and should only be done when necessary. I have seen a case or two where it is necessary, though.

Regards,
Chris Buxton