Requesting a lease time in dhclient6.conf

Joseph Bernard JHB at clemson.edu
Thu Feb 13 17:15:54 UTC 2014

I just gave myself a crash corse in DHCP options, so some of this may be wrong.  dhcp-lease-time corresponds to option 51 for DHCPv4 as defined in the common/tables.c file of the ISC DHCP source code.  The DHCPv4 spec defines option 51 as "Address Time".  For DHCPv6, the options aren't the same.  As far as I can tell, there is no DHCPv6 equivalent option for "Address Time".  This might change in the future.  Here are the links I used to figure this out:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/dhcpv6-parameters/dhcpv6-parameters.xhtml#dhcpv6-parameters-2
http://www.iana.org/assignments/bootp-dhcp-parameters/bootp-dhcp-parameters.xhtml#options
https://github.com/mcr/isc-dhcp/blob/master/common/tables.c

Thanks,