Pool independent GI Address

Stephan Sanders stephan at sanders.koeln
Tue Dec 16 19:39:06 UTC 2014

Hi Simon,

"Simon Hobson" <dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:
> No, what you mean is that Server A has a **SUBNET** 10.10.1.0/29.
> 10.10.1.0/29 is **NOT** an address pool. For that *SUBNET*, and a
> GI-Addr of 10.10.1.1, your *RANGE* could be 10.10.1.2 to 10.10.1.6. In
> the terminology of the ISC server configuration, a *POOL* is a scope
> containing one or more *RANGES*.

Okay. My wrong terminology.

> Option 82 will not help you at all - it'll be the same value sent to both servers.
Theoretically one string per dhcp-relay could identify them for the server.
But discarding this draft is the best way for new ideas.

> Just configure as I said earlier with a shared network and it will work automagically.
Yes. i have to read your email again. I haven't read that a shared
network per site has to be created.
A short test within my lab was successfull. Only the different answer
for option code 43 was not implemented.
Thats the work for the next days.
> Server A :
> shared-network "site1" {
>   subnet 10.10.1.0 255.255.255.248 {
>     router 10.10.1.1 ;
>     range 10.10.1.2 10.10.1.6 ;
>   }
>   subnet 10.11.1.0 255.255.255.248 {
>   }
> }
>
> Server B :
> shared-network "site1" {
>   subnet 10.10.1.0 255.255.255.248 {
>   }
>   subnet 10.11.1.0 255.255.255.248 {
>     router 10.11.1.1 ;
>     range 10.11.1.2 10.11.1.6 ;
>   }
> }

Thats it! :-) Thank you very much for helping my selfconfusing situation.

> Given the small subnets, and large number of sites, sounds like a POS setup.
No its not a POS setup. Its a installing procedere for new radio sites
(mobile networks).
Via dhcp nodes are receiving IP and other credentials for a security
gateway. They built up a tunnel and get their final configuration
including a different vlan id. So the dhcp based connection is only
temporary.

Best regards from cologne
Stephan