LDAP structure to share config for more than one site

Márcio Merlone marcio.merlone at a1.ind.br
Mon Dec 1 13:57:48 UTC 2014

On 29-11-2014 19:34, Brendan Kearney wrote:
> i think i get what you are trying to do.  by housing your config in
> ldap, you would be able to centrally manage the dhcpClass, dhcpSubClass,
> dhcpHost and dhcpSubnet objects (maybe others) and attempt to share them
> amongst the dhcp servers.
As a big picture: yes, but there's the detail that each dhcp server will
read its own network related parameters and options. Only shared objects
should be hosts, classes and subclasses.

> i dont have any experience going that far into an ldap backend, but i do
> have a tested-but-not-implemented-yet instance of load sharing dhcp.  i
> have two dhcp servers configured in the directory, as dhcpServer
> objects.  both objects have a dhcpServiceDN pointing to the dhcpService
> object.  my dhcpService object is a parent object to all of my
> dhcpClass, dhcpSubClass, dhcpHost and dhcpSubnet objects.  because of
> this, both of my dhcpd instances can leverage the same objects.  i
> believe this configuration might work against you, as at least the
> dhcpSubnet objects would have to be different for the different
> instances.
Looks exactly what I am looking for. Would you provide a (sanitized)
ldif for reference, please?

> with a little testing, you might be able to configure the directory to
> have the class, subclass, host and subnet objects not be subordinates to
> the service object, but i am not sure how that would work out.
That would work in a way I don't want. :)
What I want in short:

- Shared among all servers: known-hosts, classes and subclasses
- Specific for each server: shared networks, subnets, pools and ranges.

That simple and logic, my difficulty is how to structure the objects on
the tree. I will test the way you described above and give results back.

Thanks for your input, best regards.

--
*Marcio Merlone*