MAC vs DUID issue

Valdinei Rodrigues dos Reis valmatrix at ig.com.br
Wed Apr 2 23:04:05 UTC 2014

Hi there.

Simon Hobson.

I run a tcpdump in our DHCP server, and analizing in wireshark, I noted
that both the DUID and the MAC Address are present in the message relayed
to server.

Steiner Haug

Hey, can you send me the patch ;)

Glen Eustace.

Nice. I'll give this advice to our support team. It will save us future
problems.

Of course it is valid to implement new ideias to a new protocol (DHCPv6),
but leave MAC mapping wasn't a good idea. Fortunately, after a long and
vigorous discussion, they (ISC) give up and released a version of DHCPv6
thas supports MAC mapping. But looks like they did it just because there
was so many voices asking for it, without taking the appropriate care.
In my oppinion, adoption of IPv6 is closely linked to a DHCP implementation
that in someway reminds implementation for IPv4, in a administrator point
of view.