DHCP peer failure and pool exhaustion...

Steven Carr sjcarr at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 21:51:33 UTC 2013

On 9 September 2013 22:41, Gregory Sloop <gregs at sloop.net> wrote:
> 2) Lets assume the worst. They are both in partner down state, and
> issuing leases willy-nilly. Recovery, as I see it, would entail:
> -stopping both peers,
> -deleting the dhcpd.leases file on each peer
> -making sure communication was working [or that only a single peer
> would come up]
> -bring up one or both peers
> -force every DHCP client to get a new lease.
> [does that sound right?]

Only delete dhcpd.leases from one peer, when the resync happens it
should repopulate from the other peer. If you delete it from both then
you are going to have a lot of NACKs and "duplicate IP on network"
messages to deal with (clients might still be online with a valid
lease), so by deleting just one of the lease files then the majority
of the clients shouldn't notice any difference.

Steve