Setting option 252

Glenn Satchell glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au
Fri Sep 6 13:11:56 UTC 2013

This is what I've had in dhcpd.conf for years. Works well on Windows, less
well on other operating systems. Note the second bit regarding DHCPINFORM.
The dhcp client has to support it and stash the setting, second the
browser has to take notice of it.

# Windows systems accept the WPAD option for setting up their proxy server
# (Autodetect proxy settings):
# (According to Ted Lemon, "text" will get the Microsoft
# NUL termination bug heuristic applied, and "string" won't!
option wpad code 252 = text;
option wpad "http://proxy/proxy.pac\000";

# Special config for Windows ("MSFT 5.0") systems.
# Note this does not catch Windows CE.
class "MSFT" {
  match if substring(option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 4) = "MSFT";
  # They put 252 on the DHCPINFORM's, but not on the DHCPREQUEST's
  # PRL.  So we over-ride the PRL to include 252 = 0xFC, which will
  # send the option at DHCPDISCOVER/DHCPREQUEST time, and wil also
  # suppress the DHCPINFORMS!  They seem to cache it.
  option dhcp-parameter-request-list = concat(option
dhcp-parameter-request-list, fc);
}

Have you checked your web server access log to see if clients are trying
to download the pac file?

Second is to use something like wget or telnet to verify the content when
you download the pac file.

No idea regarding the IETF, but I agree with you.

regards,
-glenn