Domain Name from DHCP server problem

Maruthi Thotad maruthi.tr at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 10:43:22 UTC 2013

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply..

Sorry if i am misunderstanding, RFC1034 section 3.5 for preferred name
syntax says that domain names should be alphanumeric separated with ".".
As you mentioned if "." is valid domain name (root), writing "search ."
manually in /etc/resolv.conf shows warning in both centos and ubuntu. and
it doesn't cares this "search ." option while sending DNS query.

Basically in my client network module, we validate Domain Name and Domain
Name servers which are received from DHCP server and if anyone of them
fails, then we wont write any configuration to resolv.conf.
So even if domain name servers are valid and only domain name is not valid
like i mentioned ("."), our resolv.conf will be empty and internet will be
not reachable.

Regards,