Sub-pool or pool hierarchy

Glenn Satchell glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au
Tue Oct 15 12:55:28 UTC 2013

On Tue, October 15, 2013 11:09 pm, Prunk Dump wrote:
> 2013/10/15 Glenn Satchell <glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au>
>
>> On Tue, October 15, 2013 6:50 am, Prunk Dump wrote:
>> > Thanks Simon, Sten, Doug for your help !
>> >
>> > You are right ! if I organize my two domains in two subnet, all the
>> > class matching techniques works ! Thanks for the circuit.id trick !
>> >
>> > My problem is that making this organization I need to change all the
>> > IP ranges previously used when I make IP addresses reservation.
>> > Moreover we are two network administrator in this high school and my
>> > associate will not be very happy if I change all the IP addresses
>> > distribution.
>> >
>> > Unfortunately it seems not possible to group the pools parameters
>> > apart with the subnet keyword....
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > PELLEGRIN Baptiste.
>> >
>> In an earlier mail someone wrote:
>>
>> pool {
>>  option ...
>>  option ...
>>  pool ...
>>  pool ...
>>  pool ...
>> }
>>
>> but this should be
>>
>> group {
>>  option ...
>>  option ...
>>  pool ...
>>  pool ...
>>  pool ...
>> }
>>
>> You can use the group statement to allow you to put common options at a
>> higher level to a pool, or subnet.
>>
>> So you might have something like this. I've left out some of the details
>> as you go further down, but this might give you some ideas.
>>
>> class ...
>> class ...
>>
>> subnet ... {
>>   option ...
>>   group { # DC 1
>>     option ...
>>     option ...
>>     pool { # first class room
>>       allow members of ...
>>       option ...
>>       range ...
>>     }
>>     pool ... # second class room
>>   }
>>   group { # DC 2
>>   }
>> }
>>
>> The challenging part is to somehow match the clients in a given room to
>> particular class. There is then a pool that allows members of that
>> class.
>> The pool defines the range of IPs and any specific options for that
>> class.
>>
>> Other emails have made various suggestions for doing this, eg MAC
>> address,
>> hostname, circuit-id, and so on.
>>
>> regards,
>> -glenn

> This would be ideal.
>
> But the ISC DHCP server does not accept groups of pools. It display the
> following error message :
>
> /etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf line 76: pool declared outside of network
> [...]

My fault for not actually testing first. Looks like you can't do a group
inside a subnet.

So then if we remove the group statements above it comes down to a pool
for each classroom. The downside here is the need to repeat any options
that need to be set for each pool. You could use a script that ran in a
loop and generated all these perhaps.

regards,
-glenn