Sub-pool or pool hierarchy

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Mon Oct 14 19:08:58 UTC 2013

On 10/14/2013 11:59 AM, Sten Carlsen wrote:

> On 14/10/13 20.51, Doug Barton wrote:
>> On 10/14/2013 11:46 AM, Sten Carlsen wrote:
>>> You may want to look at the man page for dhcpd.conf, the following
>>> example is taken from that:
>>>
>>> subnet 10.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
>>>    option routers 10.0.0.254;
>>>
>>>   # Unknown clients get this pool.
>>>    pool {
>>>      option domain-name-servers bogus.example.com;
>>>      max-lease-time 300;
>>>      range 10.0.0.200 10.0.0.253;
>>>      allow unknown-clients;
>>>    }
>>>
>>>   # Known clients get this pool.
>>>    pool {
>>>      option domain-name-servers ns1.example.com, ns2.example.com;
>>>      max-lease-time 28800;
>>>      range 10.0.0.5 10.0.0.199;
>>>      deny unknown-clients;
>>>    }
>>> }
>>>
>>> As you see here you can put options in subnets as well as pools. The
>>> common options like router is in the subnet and the the more specific
>>> options are in the pools together with the allows and denys.
>>
>> Wouldn't that require host declarations to define the known hosts?
 >
> No, being a member of a class can be specified here as well:
> allow members of xyzzy;

Are you sure you're not using allow/deny members of? That's different
from known/unknown-clients.

But what I meant was that the OP wants to get away from having to define
stuff for the hosts in the conf file. I'm thinking that if the
networking gear is set up in a normal'ish way that matching the
classrooms by circuit.id could work. Clearly host names is not a good
choice because it's trivially manipulated by the users. MAC addresses
aren't much better in that regard.

hth,

Doug