Classifying clients based on FQDN in option 81

VithalPrasad Gaitonde gvithal at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 18:43:02 UTC 2013

Thanks for all the responses.
You are right the problem as you pointed out is the client is not
guaranteed to send the FQDN option (81) in the DISCOVER message as well as
the INFORM message as per RFC 4702.
At more detailed level the problem here is -
Lets say I have a class for example.com and use that to assign IPs from a
specific IP address range. A client comes in which does not send FQDN in
DISCOVER and but sends one in REQUEST. Based on the DISCOVER, the server
sends an OFFER with an IP address from a general IP range (not class
specific). The client now sends a REQUEST for the offered IP and also
includes FQDN of mycomputer.example.com. Now, since the client is not
entitled to the offered IP based on the configuration on the server to
assign class specific IP, the server will need to send a NAK (as per RFC
2131) since it cannot ACK the requested IP address in the client REQUEST.
This causes the client to restart DORA. The client is now stuck in a loop
continuously attempting DORA.
Is there a way around this ?

However, assigning options for a class of clients based on FQDN should
still be possible IMO since the options sent by server can change between
OFFER and ACK. The client is expected to use the options send in the ACK.
Correct ?

Thanks,
Prasad