[Failover]

Cedric OLLIVIER ollivier.cedric at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 13:53:48 UTC 2013

2013/2/21 Łukasz Siemiradzki <lukasz.siemiradzki at gmail.com>

> Hello,
>
> 2013/2/21 Cedric OLLIVIER <ollivier.cedric at gmail.com>
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am focusing on deploying the two DHCP servers which share the same
>> address pool (failover) at different shedulings.
>> I suppose the primary should be launched first but the backup server
>> could be the first available in some cases.
>>

> What you mean by different schedulings? Usually, primary and failover
> operates on the same time.

I would like a local server to manage the dhcp requests even if the remote
peer has not been reachable yet (no sync was done before).
It is possible that one server operates alone without its peer if it is
configured as follows:
failover peer "dhcp-failover" state {
  my state partner-down;
}

Primary can manage the adress pool without any previous synchronisation
(state "partner-down").
On the other hand, the following test indicates that secondary can't.

>> Could you, please, confirm that the secondary cannot be launched first?
>>
>  I have already tested this case and the leases offered by the secondary
>> are incorrect and rejected by clients.
>>
>> Here is the output of the dhclient resulting from this test :
>>
>> root at client:~# dhclient -v eth0
>> Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client 4.1.1-P1
>> Copyright 2004-2010 Internet Systems Consortium.
>> All rights reserved.
>> For info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/
>>
>> Listening on LPF/eth0/b2:4a:6c:3d:26:d7
>> Sending on   LPF/eth0/b2:4a:6c:3d:26:d7
>> Sending on   Socket/fallback
>> DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 7
>> DHCPOFFER from 192.168.0.2
>> DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
>> DHCPACK from 192.168.0.2
>> *no expiry time on offered lease.*
>> DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 8
>> DHCPOFFER from 192.168.0.2
>> DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
>> DHCPACK from 192.168.0.2
>> *no expiry time on offered lease.*
>>

> Could you please include dhcpd.conf file.
>
> Here is the configuration of the secondary.

default-lease-time 600;
max-lease-time 7200;

failover peer "dhcp-failover" {
  secondary;
  address 192.168.0.2;
  port 647;
  peer address 192.168.0.1;
  peer port 647;
}

failover peer "dhcp-failover" state {
  my state partner-down;
}

subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
  pool {
    failover peer "dhcp-failover";
    range 192.168.0.100 192.168.0.200;
  }