Im doing something wrong with classes and failover peers...

Glenn Satchell glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au
Thu Feb 14 23:59:07 UTC 2013

Hi Doug

        pool {
                failover peer "dhcp-failover";
                max-lease-time 43200;
                range 10.0.5.1 10.0.7.254;
                deny members of "DigiumPhones";
                deny dynamic bootp clients;
                allow members of "EverythingElse";
                }

When you use deny a class in a pool it implicitly allows all other
classes. Likewise if you use allow, then all other classes are denied.

Simplest way around this for you is to remove the 'allow members of
"EverythingElse";'.

The man pages warn about mixing allow and deny in the same pool as due to
the way it is parsed inside dhcpd it does not behave as you might expect.

regards,
-glenn