dhclient6, IA_PD hints, Comcast, and a "pd hint"

Troy Telford ttelford.groups at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 00:26:42 UTC 2013

I'm using ISC dhclient 4.2.4

Comcast has rolled out native IPv6 in my area.

By default, Comcast assigns a /64 prefix to users. I'm not too happy
about this, as I have a few subnets I'd like to keep separated, and you
can't do that with a /64 from what I understand.

According to the thread at:
http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Home-Networking-Router-WiFi/IPv6-prefix-size-and-home-routing/td-p/1495933

Comcast will provide a /60 if the DHCP client requests it in IA_PD.
(I'm less familiar with the details of what that actually means, so
bear with me).

The instructions given by Comcast are for Cisco iOS, and are something
along the lines of:
interface GigabitEthernet0/0
 description Comcast Public
 ipv6 address dhcp
 ipv6 enable
 ipv6 dhcp client pd hint ::/60
 ipv6 dhcp client pd prefix-from-Comcast
 ipv6 traffic-filter ipv6_inbound in

The same thread has working configurations for wide-dhcpv6-client (the
bottom of the thread), where the prefix size is set by:

id-assoc pd 1 {
    prefix ::/60 infinity

I've been unable to find any documentation that describes how to
configure ISC dhclient to request a prefix size of /60.  (I can only
find references to 'dhclient -6 -P ethxyz' - which results in a /64
being assigned.

Does anybody know how to configure dhclient to request a /60 instead of
letting the server use its default of /64?

It'd be nice to know and have documented (and easy to find), as Comcast
is in the process of deploying IPv6 across their network. I'm sure I'm
not the only or last person who will ask to be able to subnet my IPv6
network.

Thanks.
--
Troy Telford