DHCP "static" assignments

Alex Moen alexm at ndtel.com
Fri Aug 9 13:40:02 UTC 2013

On 08/09/2013 06:58 AM, Simon Hobson wrote:
> * Watch out for bootp clients and abandoned leases. Both tie up an address "forever" and can deplete your pool of free addresses. IIRC addresses leased to bootp clients are never returned to free, and abaondoned addresses are only recovered when there's nothing else left.

Ummm... This innocent and unassuming little comment is quite unsettling.

We have been running ISC BIND in our ISP business for well over 15
years, and I have never known this little tidbit of information (you
never quit learning!). It seems that this is a possible resource sucker
that we should at least be able to enumerate and understand the impact of.

Is there an easy way to audit the lease file, to find those addresses
that are abandoned and those that are tied up by a BOOTP lease, and
release them back to the available pool?

What a thing to learn on a Friday!  :)

Thanks!

--
Alex Moen