Problems with DHCP lease file cleaning and size

Mohan Kannekanti mohan.kannekanti at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 20:28:51 UTC 2013

I am seeing on problem with dhcpd leases file size during my automation
test script.

version: Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Server 4.2.4-P2

To keep it simple, I am using only one Client PC and very low lease
duration (about 20secs).

As the lease time is very low, my client is frequently checking for the
lease and every check is updating the dhcpd.leases file.

The problem now is that I have very low memory space available in my device
and this lease file is very quickly using up the whole memory.

I understand that this is due to my device constraints. But, I would like
to know few information to address this issue.

- Is there any mechanism in dhcpd which rewrite (like it does in when it
starts) the lease file after some period?? If so, What is the period and Is
there any way to give this in conf file??
- Is there any way to keep limit on number of connections for an subnet??
- will there be any problem if we keep limit on number of entries to log in
lease file and when limit is reached start writing (overriding) from
beginning?? (similar to dmesg in kernel)

Mohan Kumar Kannekanti
Santa Clara.