Configuring DHCP Server with Infiniband

Malek Musleh malek.musleh at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 13:14:09 UTC 2013

Hi,

I am using the latest dhcp package from ISC (dhcp-4.2.5-P1), and I am
trying to configure my dhcp server for infiniband clients. The server host
machine has infiniband port, as well as several client machines.

Looking through the source code, it seems that there is infiniband support
(unlike prior dhcp rpms where patches need to be applied, patches of which
in themselves are incomplete).

I installed the package, and when I try to run the dhcp server to listen on
the infiniband port (ib0) as follows:
# dhcpd ib0 -d

I get the following error:

Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Server 4.2.5-P1
Copyright 2004-2013 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/
Wrote 0 leases to leases file.
Unsupported device type 32 for "ib0"

If you did not get this software from ftp.isc.org, please
get the latest from ftp.isc.org and install that before
requesting help.

If you did get this software from ftp.isc.org and have not
yet read the README, please read it before requesting help.
If you intend to request help from the dhcp-server at isc.org
mailing list, please read the section on the README about
submitting bug reports and requests for help.

Please do not under any circumstances send requests for
help directly to the authors of this software - please
send them to the appropriate mailing list as described in
the README file.

exiting.

I thought the error might be on my part due to the configuration file, but
grepping through the source code for that error, in
file: dhcp-4.2/dhcp-4.2.5-P1/common/bpf.c

                case IFT_ETHER:
                        hw->hlen = sa->sdl_alen + 1;
                        hw->hbuf[0] = HTYPE_ETHER;
                        memcpy(&hw->hbuf[1], LLADDR(sa), sa->sdl_alen);
                        break;
                case IFT_ISO88023:
                case IFT_ISO88024: /* "token ring" */
                case IFT_ISO88025:
                case IFT_ISO88026:
                        hw->hlen = sa->sdl_alen + 1;
                        hw->hbuf[0] = HTYPE_IEEE802;
                        memcpy(&hw->hbuf[1], LLADDR(sa), sa->sdl_alen);
                        break;
#ifdef IFT_FDDI
                case IFT_FDDI:
                        hw->hlen = sa->sdl_alen + 1;
                        hw->hbuf[0] = HTYPE_FDDI;
                        memcpy(&hw->hbuf[1], LLADDR(sa), sa->sdl_alen);
                        break;
#endif /* IFT_FDDI */
                default:
                        log_fatal("Unsupported device type %d for \"%s\"",
                                  sa->sdl_type, name);

But nothing for Infiniband, even though HTYPE_INFINIBAND is defined in the
includes/ directory. Should I be using a different version of dhcp, or is
there some additional patch I need to apply.

Thanks,

Malek