issues with ipv6 and DUID

Ted Lemon Ted.Lemon at nominum.com
Mon Apr 1 15:11:26 UTC 2013

On Apr 1, 2013, at 10:03 AM, Simon Hobson <dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:
> AFAIK, the only reliable way of getting it is to wait for the client to boot, and get the DUID from the lease created (or the logfile ?). On a busy network, I'm not sure how you'd identify that specific client.

The easiest way to do this is to have a registration process that happens on the client; if the client isn't a device with a UI, this won't work, but it's a good solution for laptops, desktops and mobile tablets.

Basically, you send the device to a captive portal with a short address lifetime, and it has to register on the network (most devices nowadays can detect that they are in a captive portal and pop up a registration page).   Once registered, you send the device a RECONFIGURE, and it immediately gets a new address outside of the captive portal environment.

A draft that provides a mechanism for delivering client link-layer addresses using the relay agent is in the RFC Editor queue; dunno how soon it will pop out, but probably pretty soon.   The only problem with this solution is that of course then you have to wait to see implementations in relay agents.   If you are in the throes of a purchase cycle, I would list it on your RFP as a contractually promised software upgrade.