DHCPv6 client classification based on DUID.

Randall C Grimshaw rgrimsha at syr.edu
Thu Sep 20 21:04:50 UTC 2012

>That's only likely to change if hardware vendors start providing a
>specific place to store a device-wide DUID, and software vendors
>support using it. I don't see that happening soon.

from an operational point of view, wireless 802.1x supplicants with their common use of certificates could be used to drive NAC processes such as vlan steering. So one generalized solution would be to get OS vendors to treat the wired networks in the same way. Frankly, I don't see DHCP stepping up the the plate on this one. It is disappointing.

Randall Grimshaw