dhclient: lease renewal woes

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Sun Sep 9 08:15:34 UTC 2012

Mr Dash Four wrote:
>  > It's a useful test to see if it's client related or a provider issue
>>  that affects all clients.
>I did what I usually do when I get stuck in a situation like this
>one - examine the source and modify it to suit my own needs. Problem
>solved - no more mindless attempts by dhclient to connect to the
>dhcp server when half of the lease is still valid, just instant
>renewal when needed!

Your wording is a bit strong. What you call "mindless" is in fact
there for a good engineering reason and makes renewals work very
nicely for any properly engineered network. You should not blame the
software for your ISP having a rubbish network.

Incidentally, did you ever figure out why the client was not renewing
by broadcast at around 7/8 of the lease time which is what I assume
it's doing now ?

--
Simon Hobson