DHCPOFFER timeout

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Sep 7 19:44:34 UTC 2012

John Miller wrote:
>After sending a DHCPOFFER packet to a client, how long will dhcpd
>wait before discarding that offer?  My boss asked me this earlier
>today, and I didn't have a good answer, nor did I see anything
>definitive in RFC 2131 or the dhcpd docs.

It's two minutes I think. If you look in the leases file, you'll see
a lease record created before the lease is offered. If the client
subsequently requests the lease, then a new record with the admin set
length will be created.

Dunno if there are any config options to change this, or if you'd
need to recompile.

--
Simon Hobson