Exponential Lease Time

Nicholas F Miller nicholas.miller at Colorado.EDU
Wed Sep 5 16:31:48 UTC 2012

Here are some observations from my testing. The results are not consistent enough to be used in production but it is still pretty interesting.

1) I haven't seen one lease that had a renewal = 1. They all seem to start with a renewal = 2 (Windows and Mac clients, wired and wireless). This may be a result of using helper addresses on the routers and WISM2s.
2) iPhones seem to jump straight to the longest lease time (if renewal = 3).
3) Windows phones jump straight to the second longest lease time (if renewal = 2).
4) Android phones behave the same as Windows and Mac clients.

Here are the values I used for my testing which were defined in the pool statement:

        if renewal = 3 {
                default-lease-time 86400;
                max-lease-time 86400;

        } elsif renewal = 2 {
                default-lease-time 14400;
                max-lease-time 14400;
                set renewal = 3;

        } elsif renewal = 1 {
                default-lease-time 3600;
                max-lease-time 3600;
                set renewal = 2;

        } else {
                default-lease-time 900;
                max-lease-time 900;
                set renewal = 1;
        }

Nicholas Miller, OIT, University of Colorado at Boulder