domain-name-server in IPv6 mode

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Mon May 14 15:50:44 UTC 2012

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 04:59:34PM +0200, Vladimir-M. Obelic wrote:
> What is the current status of this option?
> When I try to configure the option domain-name-server
> 2000:dead:beef::1 I can't even start the server as config file can't
> be parsed (IP address or hostname expected).
> The server is running always in v6 mode.
> When I try to configure a v4 DNS server in v6 mode, I am not getting
> any DNS option in advertise/reply messages, even when a dhcpv6 client
> requests RDNS.

The option names are different for v6.  From the dhcp-options(5)
manual page:

       option dhcp6.name-servers ip6-address [, ip6-address ... ] ;

          The name-servers option instructs clients about locally
          available recursive DNS servers.  It is easiest to describe
          this as the "nameserver" line in /etc/resolv.conf.

       option dhcp6.domain-search domain-list;

          The domain-search option specifies the client’s domain
          search path to be applied to recursive DNS queries.  It is
          easiest to describe this as the "search" line in
          /etc/resolv.conf.