removing dynamic addresses

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu May 10 16:12:53 UTC 2012

Dan McDaniel wrote:
>My dhcp server is updating bind with new addresses, but old expired
>leases are not being removed. Not sure where to look to solve this.
>Is dhcp supposed to update bind to remove the maps when the leases
>expire?

Yes, it is supposed to, but not sure how to start debugging why it's not.

Just a thought, you aren't using "fixed-address" statements in host
declarations are you ? If you are, and using the option (who's name
escapes me at the moment) to do DDNS updates for them, then these are
never removed. It's a design feature that static addresses aren't
"real" leases from the server POV - it does no tracking and doesn't
know if one has expired.

--
Simon Hobson