A lot DHCP REQUEST

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed May 9 06:48:23 UTC 2012

sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:

>I might add that any server that has a sufficiently large and varied
>client population is likely to have some clients behaving like this.
>It is pretty common, unfortunately. Sometimes a reboot of the client
>helps.
>
>Active management, including watching your DHCP server transaction
>rates, is important.

If you don't know what the client is, then you should be able to find
it from switch MAC tables if you have managed switches - I've
recently come across NetDisco which seems a handy tool for trawling
the network via your managed switches to find out what is connected
where. Once you've located the switch port, you then just need to
apply the patching matrix to determine the physical outlet port and
hence the user of the affected machine.

Or simply block it and wait for the phone to ring ! This might be
your only option in a large unmanaged network (which I wouldn't
recommend anyway).

--
Simon Hobson