Wrong Ip address to the client

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Sun Mar 25 10:30:33 UTC 2012

Ruzsinszky Attila wrote:
>  > Oops, that should, of course, say :
>>>
>>>  the lease was offered by 192.168.52.140
>OK.
>
>If the AP is transparent, who will ask the IP?
>The WLAN client or the AP itself?

While your problem is fixed, I'll still answer this question ...

An access point **should** act as merely a transparent bridge -
bridging packets between the wired and wireless networks. So
normally, a wireless client which sends a DHCP packet will have that
packet bridged transparently across the network to be picked up by a
server or relay agent.

This is not the only way to do it, but it is the normal way until you
get up into larger networks with centrally managed access control and
stuff like that.

Glenn Satchell wrote:

>Seems to me the printer client is stupid, not accepting the NAK.
>That could be very bad if something else was using that address.

Yes, but the printer will have received an ACK - so it is perfectly
entitled to use the address. The fact that it later receives a NACK
(from a different server) could be seen to be a problem.

>So don't feel bad about this - your problem seems to be solved - and
>that is good.

Indeed, not the first, and won't be the last to fall for this. Even
network professionals can do it - though in my defence, it wasn't me
that decided to use a spare router as a small switch on a customer's
network without disabling the DHCP server <whistle>

--
Simon Hobson