Fixed address inside dynamic range

David Forrest drf at maplepark.com
Tue Mar 6 15:35:40 UTC 2012

On Tue, 6 Mar 2012, perl-list wrote:

> Not that this is exactly on-topic for this thread, but I would like to make sure I am correctly understanding...
>
> It seems that in DHCPv6 that fixed-address6 DOES remove the IP from the pool. man dhcpd.conf:
>
> " Any IPv6 addresses given to hosts with fixed-address6 are excluded from the range6, as are IPv6 addresses on the server itself. "
>
> That seems pretty clear, but given that this is NOT the case in DHCPv4, I just wanted to clarify.

Assuming your fixed IPv4 address is in the pool and has NOT been
reassigned through dhcpd activities (yet), you can set up the reserved
statement by adding it to the dhcpd.leases file when dhcpd is not running.
You must add the complete statement and it should be expired (I just
picked this one out of my leases file):

lease 192.168.102.123 {
   starts 1 2011/09/05 17:34:21;
   ends 1 2011/09/12 17:34:21;
   tstp 1 2011/09/12 17:34:21;
   cltt 1 2011/09/05 17:34:21;
   binding state free;
   reserved;
   hardware ethernet 1c:af:f7:d0:64:ee;
   client-hostname "n150router" ;
}

Upon restart, dhcpd will write out the updated lease file and it will
include your new expired reserved lease which will be updated and assigned
per normal usage of dhcp (comment out the fixed-address statement in your
dhcpd.conf, if any).  In any case, dhcpd will not allocate it to another
machine.

Dave
--
David Forrest