How to let the DHCP client eventually accept a OFFER when no OFFER satisfies client's requirement?

Chengyu Fan chengy.fan at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 17:35:02 UTC 2012

Vasiliy,
Thanks for your answer. But i'm afraid it cannot satisfy my requirements.

Simon is right.
What I am concerning is that there are multiple servers in the domain. I *
cannot* control the existing DHCP servers, but I can add Servers with my
configuration. Moreover, I don't know which machine will request this
option, so it is not good to bind the hwaddr with the option.

This scenario is coming from my new project. We want to utilize the DHCP
mechanism to distribute our service information. It is dynamic, so we
modify the DHCP server's code. Of course some admins do not want to rely on
the modified DHCP server, so I need to add our servers in the domain.
However, different servers introduce different OFFERs, and the client needs
to choose the one with the custom option, even this OFFER arrives latter.
And after the timeout, if the client still cannot get such OFFER (no such
service in current domain), he will choose an OFFER without the custom
option.

Do you have any idea on how to do this?

Thanks,

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 6:09 AM, Simon Hobson <dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk>wrote:

> At 12:06 +0200 15/6/12, Sten Carlsen wrote:
>
>> I could think of this as one host moving between networks and using this
>> ressource if available, but I don't know the purpose of this request.
>>

> Indeed.
> And if that is all he needs, then he just needs to add "option ..." to his
> dhcpcd.conf and it will be requested. If the server has it, then it will be
> in offers automagically, if not then it won't.
>
> He'll still need to configure his client (edit the script) with what needs
> doing with the option when it's got it.
>

> --
> Simon Hobson
>
> Visit http://www.**magpiesnestpublishing.co.uk/<http://www.magpiesnestpublishing.co.uk/>for books by acclaimed
> author Gladys Hobson. Novels - poetry - short stories - ideal as
> Christmas stocking fillers. Some available as e-books.

Regards,
Chengyu Fan