Configuration DHCPv4 vivso according to RFC 3925

Tobias Jähnel tjaehnel at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 10:59:36 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I'm using ISC DHCP 4.1-ESV-R4 and want to set up an environment as
stated in the subject.

According to the dhcp-options manual page I added the following to my
dhcpd.conf.

option space FOO code width 1 length width 1 hash size 3;
option FOO.sample code 1 = text;
option vendor.FOO code 50000 = encapsulate FOO;
option vendor-class.FOO code 50000 = text;
option FOO.sample "Some Option Text";
option vendor-class.FOO "Some Vendor Class";

I configured my DHCP Client to send option 124 with (fictous)
Enterprise number 50000 and also told it to request option 125.

Unfortunately the Server does not send option 125 back.
See attached capture file.

If I add the following line:
option vendor.FOO 01:04:01:02:03:04;
the DHCP server actually sends back Option 125 with vendor code 50000
and the given content. But hardcoding my options in hex is obviously
not what I intend.

I would appreciate it if you could tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Tobias