Client not sending DHCPREQUEST after offer.

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Jul 20 19:47:58 UTC 2012

Hajducko, Steven wrote:

>However, in a tcpdump, I see three DHCPDISCOVER's being sent in quick
>succession before we even respond w/ the DHCPOFFER.

That's not unusual. If you look at the timestamp, the Discover
packets are several seconds apart. The question you should be asking
is why the server takes so long to respond ?

>18:07:12.950075 IP (tos 0x0, ttl  20, id 0, offset 0, flags [none], proto:
>	    DHCP:DISCOVER
>
>18:07:15.036531 IP (tos 0x0, ttl  20, id 1, offset 0, flags [none], proto:
>	    DHCP:DISCOVER
>
>18:07:19.101062 IP (tos 0x0, ttl  20, id 2, offset 0, flags [none], proto:
>	    DHCP:DISCOVER
>

>18:07:19.101062 IP (tos 0x0, ttl  20, id 2, offset 0, flags [none], proto:
>	    DHCP:DISCOVER

So we see it takes your server over 6 seconds to reply - that's quite
a long time.

Then in the offer I see this :

>	    DG:0.0.0.0

which ties in with :

>    option routers 0.0.0.0;

So I expect the client is simply ignoring the offer since the default
gateway is invalid for the subnet the client is offered an address in.

--
Simon Hobson