dhcrelay over wireless mesh

Luca Tavanti luca.tavanti at iet.unipi.it
Wed Jul 18 09:46:41 UTC 2012

After a bit of sniffing and tuning I finally succeeded in having the
server assing the IP to remote nodes (i.e. node 3).

As most of you pointed out, the dhcrelay agents forwards the discover
towards the server as unicast packets. Similarly, the server
communicates with the relay by means of unicast packets.
So, a "routing" protocol is therefore necessary to build a path between
the relay and the server and to transport the unicast bootp packets.

Yet, by sniffing the traffic, I've seen that in the last hop, i.e. from
node 1 to 0, there seems to be a loop. Node 1 re-sends the discover
packet already relayed by node 2 to the server several times, each time
with increased hop-count, until the hop count field reaches the limit
(currently set to 10).
The packets following the first seems to have the correct GI addr value
(node-2 IP, as this is the actual bootp relay), but the IP address is
set to node 1, as if node 1 agent re-relayed the discover.
Since the same occurs also for the offer, request and ack packets, I
have a lot of useless overhead.
I thought this was due to the "-m forward" option I previously passed to
dhcrelay.
So I launched it with:
root[/]# dhcrelay -4 -i wlan0 -m discard 192.168.10.1
but the "loops" are still there, which is really confusing... (even more
confusing as the log on node 1 reports a series of "daemon.err dhcrelay:
packet to bogus giaddr 192.168.10.2")

Any idea of why this is happening and how to prevent it?