Broken IPv6 dhcp clients

Eustace, Glen G.Eustace at massey.ac.nz
Sun Jul 8 23:31:16 UTC 2012

On 6/07/12 10:04 PM, "Simon Hobson" <dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:

>I've seen clients that insist on certain things being present (or at
>least certain behaviors) without asking for them - on the basis that
>*the* DHCP server will send them (where *the* means *Windows*).
>Though in the case of the one that comes most immediately to mind
>(RIP on a Minolta digital copier), it was a matter of not accepting a
>lease with less than 2 years life on it - very random !

Having captured the DHCP conversations, neither device is asking for any
other than the standard options. 12, 13 , 23 and 24 and the reply is also
pretty much standard.

The HP devices are setting the lease preferred lifetime to 16secs, which
is a bit daft. But do accept the 72 hours I am providing, or at least
appear to.

I have tried reducing this to 24hrs but for some strange reason, the
daemon then crashes after a few minutes :-( Haven't been able to determine
why.

We have *LOTS* of HP MFDs, I find it strange that only a few a exhibiting
this 'unsociable' behavior :-)